Parish Council minutes – December 2016

SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING 12TH DECEMBER 2016

Present: John Lowings, Sarah Ellison, John Atkins, Jocelyn Craig, Gill Bromley, Pete Watts, Brian Bristow, John Atkins, Cliff Ridley, Geraldine Dyer and Catherine Stanley (Clerk).

There were 3 Parishioners present

1.         APOLOGY

Mark Wilson

2.         LIST OF THE DEPARTED

None

3.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 14th NOVEMBER 2016

The minutes of the meeting of 14th November 2016 were agreed and signed by the Chairman and publication on the website agreed.

4.         MATTERS ARISING

Gary Mitchell and Tony Richter of the Bonfire Night organising committee spoke to the Parish Council to address the concerns of a local resident. They explained that the Bonfire Night event is run by volunteers and raises on average £3-3500 per annum to be split between the local organisations. They do not wish to impose an entrance fee but instead to rely on the donations made.

The organising committee are aware of the letter of complaint made by a Parishioner in The Acorns and the comments made have been taken seriously. Measures were taken to try to stop cars parking in The Acorns but unfortunately these were ignored by motorists on the night.

It was not felt that an extension to the Road Closure Order would work as it is unlikely to be accepted by KCC and if it was accepted it would only push the problem on down towards Ashenden. There is also the question of enforceability. After a lengthy discussion it was agreed that more cones would be placed out next year and that they would be tide together. Gary reiterated his advice that homeowners should park their own cars outside their drives to prevent them from being blocked in. Both Gary and Tony emphasised that the committee is committed to ensuring the safety of Parishioners.

John expressed the Parish Council’s support and gratitude for the Bonfire Night.

5.         PLANNING

16/01642/AS

Proposal: Change of Use of B1 Unit 2 to D2 Use in conjunction with and change of use of existing swimming pool as a D2 Private Paying Swimming Pool (Retrospective)

Location: New Luckhurst Farm, Bethersden Road, Smarden TN27 8QT

Comments: No Comment

16/01776/AS

Application No: 16/01776

Proposal: Prior approval for change of use from agricultural barn including land within its curtilage to one dwelling house and associated operational development (resubmission of 16/00884/AS)

Location: Agricultural building at Dering Wood Lodge, Pluckley Road, Smarden, Kent

Comments: No Comment

16/01678/AS

Application No. 16/01678

Proposal: Alteration of existing site access and provision of new site access and vehicle cross over

Location: Millworth House, Pluckley Road, Smarden TN27 8RG

Comments: Leave to Highways to ensure all safety aspects are approved. No Comment.

16/01753/AS

Application No. 16/01753

Proposal: Change of use of building and land within its curtilage from an agricultural use to a dwelling house and associated operational development (resubmission of 15/00403 and 15/00888)

Location: Westover Farm, Smarden Bell Road, Smarden, TN27 8NT

Comments: No Comment

6.         COMMUNICATIONS

The issue of improving communications was discussed. John Atkins agreed to discuss this with Gill.

7.         BUDGET

There was a long discussion on the use of the diminishing monies from the bottle bank fund. Catherine explained that the last Parish Council had considered the issue and it had been agreed to drastically cut back the donations made and to advise the Charities that the donations could not be expected each year.

The Parish Councillors put forward their own thoughts:

Sarah Ellison – thought that the donations should be paid this year and then they end next year

Pete Watts – thought that the donations should be paid this year and then they end next year

Cliff Ridley – thought that the donations should be paid this year and then they end next year

Gill Bromley – thought that all donations should be reduced but pay the donations this year

Jocelyn Craig – thought that Wealden Wheels should be protected but pay the donations this year

Brian Bristow – thought that we should continue as previously agreed until the end of this Parish Council

John Atkins – dissented from what was agreed.

Catherine was asked to ensure that when the cheques are sent to the Charities they are reminded that the donation could be diminishing on an annual basis as the finances are limited.

8.         COMMUNITY ASSET REGISTER

John advised that the Government is to review rural Post Offices.

9.         BURIAL GROUND

Nothing to report

10.       CORNES MEADOW and THE MINNIS

Brian advised that he has received a letter from a Parishioner who was concerned that the ditch is flowing near the Playground. It is understood that the neighbours are liaising.

11.       HIGHWAYS and SPEEDWATCH

There have been complaints from Parishioners about the state of Vesper Hawk Bridge.

It was noted that some of the signs in the Parish need to be cleaned by KCC. Brian is to identify which ones these are.

Jocelyn reported that the Smarden Speedwatch Group has been registered. There are six members. They have met on two occasions. Six vehicles were caught speeding. Those vehicles will be reported to the Police.

Disappointment was expressed that none of the Parishioners who expressed concern their concerns about speeding at the Annual Parish Meeting last year have come forward to join the group.

John thanked Jocelyn.

12.       CORRESPONDENCE

Catherine reported that the best day for booking the Charter Hall for the APM would be Thursday 4th May. This was agreed.

13.       FINANCE

13.1     Accounts – Catherine presented the monthly account for November and presented the items of expenditure for December which were approved.

13.2     Application for grants –

Catherine was asked to accept the quotation from Wicksteed for the repairs to the Playground.

14.       ITEMS FOR PARISH MAGAZINE

Items for the Parish Magazine were agreed and it was further agreed.

15.       REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED/FORTHCOMING MEETINGS

No meetings

14.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

 

Gill reported that the Emergency Plan has been printed and is due to be distributed soon.

 

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9pm.

 

Smarden Parish Council Planning Meeting Monday 28th November 2016

Present: Sarah Ellison, John Atkins, Brian Bristow, Clifford Ridley, Peter Watts

Three Parishioners were also present.

Application No. 16/01694/AS

Proposal: Prior notification for changes of to the previously approved operational development (addition of mezzanine window) in accordance with reference 16/01199 (Prior approval to convert existing agricultural building into a dwelling.)

Location: The Hay Barn, Prosser Farm, Pluckley Road, Smarden kent

Comments: No Comment

Application No. 16/01680/AS

Proposal: Proposed erection of new animal welfare centre and staff facilities building.

Lpocation : Wildlife Heritage Foundation, Headcorn Road, Smarden TN27 8PJ

Comments: No Comment

Land Behind Chessenden Lane

A discussion took place about the potential development on this site and what the Parish Council has done to date regarding informing residents.

Land adjacent to Charter Hall

The attending Parishioners asked for an up date on what is happening on this site regarding the Planning Application and Appeal.

16/01642/AS

Proposal: Change of Use of B1 Unit 2 to D2 Use in conjunction with and change of use of existing swimming pool as a D2 Private Paying Swimming Pool (Retrospective)

Location: New Luckhurst Farm, Bethersden Road, Smarden TN27 8QT

Comments: No Comment

Action:

16/01776/AS

Application No: 16/01776

Proposal: Prior approval for change of use from agricultural barn including land within its curtilage to one dwelling house and associated operational development (resubmission of 16/00884/AS)

Location: Agricultural building at Dering Wood Lodge, Pluckley Road, Smarden, Kent

Comments: No Comment

Action:

16/01678/AS

Application No. 16/01678

Proposal: Alteration of existing site access and provision of new site access and vehicle cross over

Location: Millworth House, Pluckley Road, Smarden TN27 8RG

Comments: Leave to Highways to ensure all safety aspects are approved. No Comment.

Action:

16/01753/AS

Application No. 16/01753

Proposal: Change of use of building and land within its curtilage from an agricultural use to a dwelling house and associated operational development (resubmission of 15/00403 and 15/00888)

Location: Westover Farm, Smarden Bell Road, Smarden, TN27 8NT

Comments: No Comment

Action: