Parish Council minutes – October 2016

SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING 10TH OCTOBER 2016

 

Present: John Lowings, Mark Wilson, Gill Bromley, Pete Watts, Brian Bristow, John Atkins, Cliff Ridley Geraldine Dyer and Catherine Stanley (Clerk).

1.         APOLOGIES

Jocelyn Craig, Sarah Ellison and John Atkins (part)

2.         LIST OF THE DEPARTED

Ellen Morris

3.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 12th SEPTEMBER 2016

The minutes of the meeting of 12th September 2016 were agreed and signed by the Chairman and publication on the website agreed.

4.         MATTERS ARISING

John Atkins reported that the School is now oversubscribed and that there has been a review of independent inspectors who have determined that the Governance of the School is ‘outstanding’.

It was noted that there is a change to the Parliamentary boundary. This means that Smarden will be part of a huge constituency which is primarily rural.

There was a long discussion as proposal to re-glaze the missing glass pane from the Telephone box in The Street. Catherine explained that she had been unable to get either BT/Openreach to take responsibility for it. Catherine commented that the Parish Council would be responsible for the repairs should such work be undertaken. It was agreed that Mark would approach Glass& Glaze to obtain a quote for the work.

5.         PLANNING

6.         COMMUNITY ASSET REGISTER

John thanked Gill for preparing detailed paper on this.

Gill reported that as part of the Emergency Planning Committee she proposes to apply for grants for new two way radios. The cost of these will be £400. There would be designated emergency centres. Ashford Borough Council and Kent County Council will provide funding.

7.         BURIAL GROUND 

Mark reported that he had been to the Burial Ground and that all headstone are either 3 feet in height or under which is within the guidelines. It was thought that kerbstones should be resisted.

Catherine was asked to try and obtain guidelines for other burial grounds. This would enable the Parish Council to put together guidance for the Burial Ground.

8.         CORNES MEADOW and THE MINNIS

It was agreed to accept Adrian Hackett’s offer to spray the weeds at The Minnis twice a year. The Cricket Club has kindly agreed to meet the cost of this.

Catherine explained that she and Mark had met at the Playground and The Minnis and it was agreed to contact Wicksteed to obtain quotations for the repair works needed.

9.         HIGHWAYS and LORRYWATCH

The issue of speeding was discussed and it was agreed that the Parish Council would need to wait for a response from Highways. It may be possible to obtain a speed limit by self-funding but this would need to be looked into.

Brian reported that he is waiting for Snughorne Lane to be repaired and Brian is chasing on this.

Brian also agreed to check what white paint is on The Street and to clarify this with Highways.

10.       CORRESPONDENCE

Catherine was asked to write to a property where there is overhanging vegetation.

John presented a letter from Carl Adams regarding possible repairs to oak features in the village. John will speak to Carl.

11.       FINANCE

Catherine reported that the Annual Return has been passed by the External Auditors.

11.1     Accounts – Catherine presented the monthly account for September and presented the items of expenditure for October which were approved.

11.2     Application for grants –

None

12.       ITEMS FOR PARISH MAGAZINE

Items for the Parish Magazine were agreed and it was further agreed.

13.       REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED/FORTHCOMING MEETINGS

None

14.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

It was agreed to make a donation to the organising committee of the Bonfire Night. Catherine was asked to prepare a cheque for £200 for this and to ask for clarification as the criteria for the judging of the floats.

Cliff reported that there not to be any funding for the River Beult.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.45pm.