Parish Council minutes – August 2016

SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL  

MINUTES OF THE MEETING 8th AUGUST 2016

Present: Mark Wilson, Jocelyn Craig, Gill Bromley, Pete Watts, Brian Bristow, John Atkins, Geraldine Dyer and Catherine Stanley (Clerk). 

1.         APOLOGIES

John Lowings, Cliff Ridley and Sarah Ellison

2.         LIST OF THE DEPARTED

None

3.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 11th JULY 2016

The minutes of the meeting of 11th July 2016 were agreed and signed by the Chairman and publication on the website agreed.

4.         MATTERS ARISING

The Councillors expressed their appreciation at the number of Parishioners who attended the Civic Centre on 20th July. Gill commented that approximately 90 Parishioners came either by coach or separately. It was thought that all the speakers spoke very well and there was recognition that their input was invaluable in obtaining the refusal.

Catherine was asked to write to Carrs of Pluckley to convey the Parish Council’s thanks for the loan of the coach. Their generosity was appreciated.

5.         PLANNING  

Nothing to report.

6.         BURIAL GROUND  

Mark commented that he is now able to access the area of the Burial Ground where the spent soil has been put.

7.         COMMUNITY ASSET REGISTER

Gill asked that this be deferred until next month.

8.         CORNES MEADOW and THE MINNIS

Pete is to try to liaise with Landscape Services to discuss how the grass is cut.

It is thought that there may be a wasps’ nest under the bridge on the far side of The Minnis. Pete is going to look into this and contact Catherine on Friday if it continues to be a problem. She will then ascertain if it needs to be removed.

Catherine advised that the Annual Inspection has been carried out. A copy of the report will be circulated.

Catherine and Mark will meet on site to examine the report and assess how to deal with the recommendations.

9.         HIGHWAYS and LORRYWATCH

Jocelyn reported that she has now got 6 volunteers so is now able to set up a training session for Speedwatch.

It was thought that the cost of a hand held device could be borrowed or shared from another Parish.

Catherine is to write to KCC Highways in respect of the stones and obstructions placed on verges within the Parish. The Councillors are to email Catherine with a list of relevant properties.

10.       CORRESPONDENCE

Nothing to report.

11.       FINANCE

11.1     Accounts – Catherine advised that the monthly statement from Santander had not been received in time and that it would be prepared ready for next month. She presented the items of expenditure for August which were approved.

11.2     Application for grants –

None

12.       ITEMS FOR PARISH MAGAZINE

Items for the Parish Magazine were agreed. It was agreed to amend the article to add the Parish Council’s thanks for all those attending the Civic Centre on 20th July, the speakers, Carrs of Pluckley for the loan of the coach and to Mark Wilson for driving it.

Catherine was also asked to include a new item regarding encouraging people not to leave glasses where they can cause a hazard as has happened very recently.

13.       REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED/FORTHCOMING MEETINGS

None

14.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Nothing to report.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.15pm.