Parish Council minutes – April 2016

SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING 11th APRIL 2016

Present: John Lowings, Mark Wilson, Sarah Ellison, Jocelyn Craig, Gill Bromley, Cliff Ridley, Pete Watts, Brian Bristow, John Atkins, Geraldine Dyer and Catherine Stanley (Clerk).

4 Parishioners present.

1.         APOLOGY

None

2.         LIST OF THE DEPARTED

Roy Blackman and Rosemary Glazier

3.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 14th MARCH 2016

The minutes of the meeting of 14th March 2016 were agreed and signed by the Chairman and publication on the website agreed.

4.         MATTERS ARISING

None

5.         PLANNING 

16/00400/AS

Proposal: First floor side extension, installation of first floor rooflight

Location: Honeyset Farm, Bethersden Road, Smarden TN27 8QR

Comments: No Comment

16/00464/aS

Proposal: Removal of condition 3 on planning approval 08/00278/AS

Location: Land north of Mount Pleasant Farm, Lewd Lane, Smarden TN27 8NP

Comments: No Comment

Sarah advised that a date has not been set by Ashford Borough Council to consider application 16/00045 (the Gladman application) at Committee. It is hoped that it will be in June.

The Parish Council has received a letter from John Mills of Lakehurst Developments who acts for Ned Farris, the owner of a parcel of land at Mill Lane. He has advised that he is in receipt of support from Parishioners for development on the land.

John thanked Sarah for her work.

6.         ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

It was agreed to set up the chairs at 4pm. Sarah will organise the tea and coffee.

7.         BURIAL GROUND

There was a long discussion as how to deal with a skip which has been booked and also how to move the earth.

John thanked Mark and Cliff for their work.

8.         EMERGENCY PLAN 

Gill advised that she and Jocelyn will be attending a meeting with Ashford Borough Council on 14th in respect of the Emergency Plan.

There will be a presentation of the Emergency Plan at Canterbury Cricket Club (with KALC) and Gill will also give a presentation at the Annual Parish Meeting.

John thanked Gill and Jocelyn for their efforts.

9.         THE MINNIS and CORNES MEADOW

Pete reported that the ground is still too wet to mow.

10.       HIGHWAYS

Brian reported that he has had a meeting with Lisa Wiloughby from KCC in respect of potholes in the Parish. He advised that whilst they understood what he was saying they are constrained by budget limitations and therefore it is not always possible to mend all potholes.

Jocelyn reported an increase in oversized lorries trying to negotiate the tight double bend at Cage Lane.

John thanked Brian and Jocelyn.

11.       CORRESPONDENCE

John Atkins advised that the proposed sale of a property at Ashenden is no longer proceeding.

12.       FINANCE

12.1     Accounts – Catherine presented the monthly statement and the items of expenditure for April which were approved.

13.2     Application for grants –

None

13.       ITEMS FOR PARISH MAGAZINE

Items for the Parish Magazine were agreed.

14.       REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED/FORTHCOMING MEETINGS

14.1     John reported that there is a proposal to centralise planning decisions.

There was a discussion as to whether there was any concern in registering the existence of defibrillators and it was thought that there could be concern that ambulances would not prioritise calls where Parishes had defibrillators. Jocelyn and Gill agreed to look into this.

14.2     Nothing to report.

16.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Cliff advised that there is a tree about to fall down near Mower Plant Services. Brian agreed to report it to Highways.

It was also noted that there is flooding just off Bedlam Lane.

Gill presented a leaflet so that people can apply to be mapped as a priority to power companies in the event of a power failure. It is aimed a vulnerable people.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.35pm.