Parish Council minutes – February 2016

SMARDEN PARISH COUNCIL 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING 8th FEBRUARY 2016

 

Present: John Lowings, Mark Wilson, Sarah Ellison, Gill Bromley, Cliff Ridley, Pete Watts, Jocelyn Craig, Brian Bristow, John Atkins, Geraldine Dyer and Catherine Stanley (Clerk).

3 Parishioners were present.

1.         APOLOGY

None

2.         LIST OF THE DEPARTED

Yvonne Bonham

Lynne Godden

Graham Ellsworth

3.         MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 11th AND 18TH JANUARY 2016

The minutes of the meeting of 11th January and the Planning Meeting of 18th January 2016 were agreed and signed by the Chairman and publication on the website agreed.

4.         MATTERS ARISING

None

5.         PLANNING 

Application No: 16/00076/AS

Proposal: Construction of garage/car barn comprising of 2 open car parking bays and 1 enclosed garage (revision to height of approved scheme 15/00779/AS

Location: Maltmans Paddock, Pluckley Road, Maltmans Hill, Smarden, TN27 8RF

Comments: No Comment

Application No. : 16/00021/AS

Proposal: An application for lawful development certificate – Existing – use of building B8 storage

Location: Millworth House, Pluckley Road, Smarden TN27 8RG

Comments: Object

Application No. 16/00045/AS

Proposal: Proposed outline application for up to 50 residential dwellings including up to 18 affordable units with access and some matters reserved

Location Land between Smarden Charter Hall and Weathercock House, Pluckley Road, Smarden

Comments:  Strongly Object

14/01520/AS

Land South of Gilham Farm, known as Lot 3 Luckhurst Lane, Smarden

This Case and Appeal have been Dismissed

Application No: 16/00051/AS

Location: Roughlands Farm House, Lewd Lane, Smarden TN27 8PB

Proposal: Prior approval for change of use of barn to one dwelling house and associated operational development

Comments: No Comment

Application No. 16/00154/AS & 16/00155/AS

Proposal:  1. Demolition of extension and erection of a single storey rear extension. Reinstatement of principle entrance door and infilling of current doorway, replacement of external timber ladder. 2. Listed Building Consent for the same

Location: The Cloth Hall, Water Lane, Smarden, Ashford, Kent TN27 8QB

Comments: Provided that Listed Building and English Heritage are happy with replacement timber ladder and front door SPC have no issue.  However SPC strongly object to the extension at the back which is out of character, too large, and not in sympathy with this building which is visible from all sides.

The application by Gladman Developments (16/00045/AS) was discussed. Cliff Ridley immediately declared an interest, left the room and did not take part in any discussions. Sarah advised that she and Geraldine had a meeting with the Planning Officers at Ashford Borough Council. They were advised that the application will be decided by the Planning Committee on or about 20th April, the date has yet to be formally confirmed.

There was a lengthy discussion when it was agreed to formally request the designation of the land adjoining the Charter Hall be a local green space. It was further agreed that the zoning and detail would be agreed at the next planning meeting. Sarah is in correspondence with Ashford Borough Council and it was agreed that she should reply advising them that the Parish Council support a zone which is sufficient to protect the environment of the Charter Hall the detail of which is to be agreed at a later stage.

John read out the Parish Council’s draft letter of objection to the application. This was approved subject to a minor amendment to include a fuller reference to Parishioners’ request for low cost accommodation.

Mark Withers commented that the construction of Glebe Close and Hazel Close was incorporated well into the village and the increase traffic did not cause a problem.

6.         ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

The Agenda was discussed and approved.

7.         BURIAL GROUND

It was agreed that when the ground dries up to remove the bonfire to the far end of the Burial Ground to create more space for plots and to try to make it look more attractive.

8.         EMERGENCY PLANNING

Gill and Jocelyn reported that there has been a recent meeting. They are due to meet with Ashford Borough Council and the Environment Agency soon. They are pulling together the responses to the leaflet drop. There is an initial committee of Gill, Jocelyn, Mike Barkway, David King, Keith de la Plain and Paul Brooker. Then a wider team including the School, the pubs, the Post Office. They are starting to identify resources and possibly get grants to fund purchases. Gill pointed to a very helpful brochure that Kent Resilience Forum have produced.

9.         THE MINNIS and CORNES MEADOW

Pete advised that fortunately no trees have fallen in this very windy weather although the ground is very wet.

10.       HIGHWAYS

Brian reported that he has received a letter from a Parishioner reporting damage to a footpath.

Jocelyn reported that January has been the quietest month for Lorrywatch since it started 18months ago.

It was agreed that the new gateways have been extremely helpful.

11.       CORRESPONDENCE

Catherine reported that Tidy Week will be from April to April

The Parish Councillors will have their Tidy Evening on Thursday 7th April at 6.30pm.

12.       FINANCE

12.1     Accounts – Catherine reported that the Bank Statement had not yet been received but presented the items of expenditure for February which were approved.

12.2     Application for grants –

None

13.       ITEMS FOR PARISH MAGAZINE

Items for the Parish Magazine were agreed. It was further agreed to add an item advising Parishioners that the Planning Application 16/00045/as will be heard at Committee which will give Parishioners the opportunity to attend and raise their objections. The date will be published in the next edition of the Magazine.

14.       REPORTS OF MEETINGS ATTENDED/FORTHCOMING MEETINGS

14.1     John reported that he had attended the recent KALC meeting.

14.2     Nothing to report.

15.       ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Nothing to report.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.25pm